Policy on Transfer Credit at the Master's Level
Transfer of credit may be approved under the following conditions:
- The course, if completed at an institution in the United States, must have been completed at an institution recognized by a regional accrediting body as degree granting for higher education at the time the course was taken.
- The course must have been restricted to graduate students only.
- A grade of B or higher must have been received in the course.
- The content of the course must correspond to that of a Clayton State University course required or permitted in the student’s program.
- Degree credit completed before enrollment in the current Clayton State program will be considered if it will not be more than six years old at the time the student graduates from Clayton State in the respective graduate program.
- Credit completed elsewhere after enrollment in the current Clayton State program may be considered for transfer credit if it is within the time limit allowed for completion of the current program.
- Transfer credit will be limited to a maximum of six (6) semester hours in degree programs requiring less than 39 total credit hours of coursework. Programs requiring more than 39 hours of course work may allow up to nine (9) credits to transfer.
Course credit used to satisfy the requirements of one Clayton State degree cannot be used to satisfy the requirements of another degree.
An Application for Transfer of Graduate Credit must be completed no later than the end of the first semester of attendance at Clayton State University. The request must indicate the specific course(s) for which transfer credit is sought. A copy of the other institution’s catalog must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies to verify that the course was limited to graduate students only. If the course(s) was taken after application materials were filed, an official transcript of the coursework must be sent directly from the other institution to the School of Graduate Studies. Requests for transfer of graduate credit cannot be processed until all necessary information has been received.