Basic Licensure Track
Students with an interest in nursing are admitted to Clayton State University as a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences major with a concentration of pre-nursing. Refer to the Bachelor of Health Sciences section of this Catalog for details. Separate application to this competitive admission program is required upon completion of 60 hours of lower division requirements and transition course HLTH 3200 Pathophysiology for RNs. Students not admitted to this competitive admission program may continue with the Bachelor of Health Sciences degree in consultation with academic advisor to determine appropriate concentration and career path.
The basic licensure BSN track is available to recent high school graduates, non-traditional students, current Clayton State students, and transfer students who meet University admission requirements. Graduates are prepared for initial licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Nursing application is separate from University application and admission. Admission is competitive and space is limited. Students are admitted each fall and spring semester into a full-time four semester program (excluding intervening summers).
Minimum admission requirements include (details on the School of Nursing website):
- College grade point average (GPA) of 2.80 on 4.00 scale.
- Completion of 45 semester hours of BSN core curriculum with grades of C (or K or S) or better in all natural and behavioral science, math and Area F courses at the time of application and 60 semesters hours at the time of enrollment in nursing program.
- Successful completion of the USG system legislative requirements.
- Satisfactory completion of designated nursing program entrance exam.
- Satisfactory evidence of overall health status consistent with the performance standards for nursing and verified by a licensed health care professional.
- Eligible for clearance on criminal background check and drug screening.
- Applicants participating in Clayton State University’s Honors Program are guaranteed admission if they meet all program admission standards.
- Applicants who have attended another nursing program are required to disclose on their application and submit a letter of good standing from the program administrator. Applicants who have been dismissed from another nursing program are ineligible for admission to the Clayton State program. Applicants who have been suspended from another program due to academic or clinical performance will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
|Core Curriculum (Areas A-E)||42|
|Additional Core Curriculum requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree are shown under Core Curriculum in the Graduation Requirements section of the Undergraduate Catalog.|
Area D1 Recommended Courses
Select one of the following groups:
|Survey of Chemistry I 1|
|Survey of Chemistry Lab I|
|Principles of Chemistry I|
|Principles of Chemistry Lab I|
|Area D2 Recommended Courses|
|Lower Division Major Requirements (Area F)||18|
|BIOL 1151||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||3|
|BIOL 1151L||Human Anatomy & Phys. Lab I||1|
|BIOL 1152||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3|
|BIOL 1152L||Human Anatomy & Phys Lab II||1|
|BIOL 2250||Microbiology for Health Sci.||3|
|BIOL 2250L||Microbiology for Hlth. Sci.Lab||1|
|PSYC 2103||Intro to Human Development||3|
|Lower division elective 1||3|
|NURS 3110||Interactive Communication||3|
|NURS 3200||Health Assessment||3|
|NURS 3301||Health Promotions||3|
|NURS 3301L||Health Promotions Practicum||1|
|NURS 3383||Clinical Nursing Pharmacology||3|
|NURS 3401||Health Illness Transitions I||3|
|NURS 3401L||Health Illness Trans I Pract.||2|
|NURS 3501||Psychosocial Transitions||3|
|NURS 3501L||Psychosocial Transitions Prac.||2|
|NURS 3701||Health Illness Transitions II||3|
|NURS 3701L||Health Illness Trans. II Prac.||2|
|NURS 4000||Developmental Transitions I||3|
|NURS 4000L||Developmental Transitions I Pr||2|
|NURS 4100||Nursing Research||3|
|NURS 4201||Developmental Transitions II||3|
|NURS 4201L||Dev. Transitions II Practicum||2|
|NURS 4401||Health Illness Transitions III||3|
|NURS 4401L||Hlth Illness Transitions IIIP||3|
|NURS 4500||Role Transitions||2|
|NURS 4601||Organizational Transitions||4|
|NURS 4601L||Organizational Transitions P||1|
|Major Specific Elective||3|
|Choose any NURS, HLTH, HCMG, HFMG, or HSCI 3000/4000 level course (or appropriate upper division statistics course).|
|Total Credit Hours||120|
Lab science sequence required for this Health Professions major
Nursing students must maintain a semester grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 (“C”) to progress in the program. A minimum grade of “C” is required in all upper division and major courses. Students who receive a "D", "F", "WF", or "U" in any nursing course may repeat that course one time only on a space available basis. Students who receive any two of the following: "D", "F", "WF", or "U" in any two nursing courses may not continue in the program. Reference BSN Student Handbook for details.