RDH-BSDH Completion Track
The RDH-BSDH track is available for registered dental hygienists who are graduates of associate degree dental hygiene programs accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). Graduates are prepared for advanced practice, supervisory, administrative, managerial and marketing positions in the dental field. In addition to the clinical role, graduates may also work as educators and researchers.
Dental Hygiene application is separate from University application and admission. This distance learning program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis.
Minimum admission requirements include (details on the Department of Dental Hygiene website):
- Unrestricted current dental hygiene licensure in the United States or eligibility for licensure
- College grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 on 4.00 scale.
- Completion of 45 semester hours of BSDH core curriculum with grades of C (or K or S) or better in all natural and behavioral science, math and Lower Division Major Requirements courses at the time of application and 60 semesters hours at the time of enrollment in the dental hygiene program.
- Successful completion of the legislative requirements.
- Successful completion of transition course DHYG 3101 Prof Dev in Dental Hygiene.
- Satisfactory evidence of overall health status consistent with the performance standards of dental hygiene and verified by a licensed health care professional.
Graduation from an associate degree dental hygiene program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
|Core Curriculum (Areas A-E)||42|
Area A2 Recommneded Courses
|Intro to Mathematical Modeling|
or MATH 1111
Area D2 Recommended Courses
|Lower Division Major Requirements (Area F)||18|
|Choose 18 hours of appropriate 1000/2000 level coursework (not applied in Core A-E).|
|Complete 30 career block credits 1|
|DHYG 3101||Prof Dev in Dental Hygiene||4|
|DHYG 4200||Research for Evi Based Practic||3|
|DHYG 4301||Educ. Strategies & Intern.||3|
|DHYG 4500||Contemporary Community Roles||2|
|DHYG 4900||Independent Study in Dental Hy||3|
|HLTH 3110||Interactive Communication||3|
|HLTH 3420||Health Education||3|
|Choose any three upper division courses except PHED or courses identified in the catalog as career or institutional credit courses. 2|
|Total Credit Hours||120|
Upon successful completion of DHYG 3101 Prof Dev in Dental Hygiene, RDHs will receive up to 30 semester hours of block credit.
Statistics course required for degree; must be satisfied prior to program admission; may be satisfied at lower or upper division level.
Dental Hygiene students must maintain a semester grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (“C”) to progress in the program. A minimum grade of “C” is required in all upper division and major courses. Students who receive a "D", "F", "WF", or "U" in any dental hygiene course may repeat that course one time only on a space available basis. Students who receive any of the following: "D", "F", "WF", or "U" in any two dental hygiene courses may not continue in the program. Reference the Department of Dental Hygiene Program and Clinic Manual: Policies and Procedures.